Our K-ready time is a more structured period where we focus on pre-Kindergarten skills by:
- Singing songs that teach ABC sound-letter awareness
- Practicing basic printing using the Handwriting Without Tears program
- Engaging in age-appropriate math activities such as patterning, addition and subtraction, one-to-one correspondence, and sorting
- Working on basic concepts including learning home addresses and phone numbers, rhyming, directionality and maps, and sequencing
- Becoming writers and readers by using words and drawings to complete open-ended questions, and matching letters with sounds in words
Our Kindergarten Readiness time begins with lunch and includes a short rest period before reading a story that leads to our activity. By including movement, teacher-led student activities, and table work, we strive to keep the children engaged as they adjust to the longer class period.